1. I like lists. I make lists all the time. My husband is the opposite when it comes to list-making and doesn't understand my obsession. I make lists for what I'm going to do for the day, what I need to buy at the store, fabric lists, price lists, whatever it is, I'm gonna make a list for it. Does it help me? Sometimes. I am a visual person so I need to have those reminders to help me accomplish my goals. Most of the time though, I don't get finished with everything I needed to accomplish and then I'm just ill about it. Do I keep making lists, yes! It's what I do.
2. I like organization. I like a clean house. I like everything in its place. Don't just come over unannounced though because the house will probably be a wreck. My workroom stayed nice and pretty for about a week, maybe two. Now, for the most part, it looks like this-
My fabric scrap bins stay full, well over-full really, and anytime I have a show coming up (Market Street Festival... May 3... you know you want to come see me) my studio is in complete shambles. I don't have a lot of storage area for completed items so my dining room usually holds the overflow. I actually cleared off the dining table last night and we had breakfast this morning. Yummy pancakes.
3. I really love food. The thought of pancakes reminded me of this fact. I love all kinds of food. As for sweets, I'm not so much into chocolate but I love sugar. Hard candy is the BEST. This is all I'm gonna say because if I don't stop, I'll have to go fix me something.
4. I'm cheap. I mean really cheap. It's really hard for me to make big purchases. For the first two years of MadBags, I used my very first sewing machine that I got when I was 9 or 10. It's a Kenmore. Great machine by the way. Anyway, I also had another machine that a friend had loaned me when her mother passed away and she had no interest in sewing. Some of you know that both of those machines died, well temporarily (I've had them fixed just recently). I had wanted an embroidery/sewing machine for years but just couldn't stomach the price. When both my machines quit on me, (you can read about it here) in the same week no less, I had to bite the bullet and get a new one. It was time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Bernina. I was, however, sick for a long time afterwards thinking about how much it cost. And it's not just big stuff that makes me queasy. I will search long and hard for the best price/quality on everything before buying.
5. I am a Diet Dr. Pepper addict and I hate water.
6. I am non-confrontational. I loathe public speaking. My husband is a minister and is totally comfortable speaking to large crowds, whatever. I am extremely content to blend in with the crowd. Of course I'm claustrophobic so I'll probably be blending in with the edge of the crowd. Makes my escape much easier...hee hee. In college, I had to take Speech. Let me just say that I was in the bathroom everyday before that class. I really like what I do because I can work alone in my studio and make contact via the internet which is much easier for me. Shows are a little stressful for me but it's good for business so I just grin & bear it. If you saw the newspaper article I was in, you'll see that I had to be interviewed. The author of the article originally contacted me through email and asked if she could interview me. I wrote back, can we do it over email??? She said, I'd like to call and speak to you. I said ok... I was nervous from then on. I even asked Paul if he thought it would be ok if I asked my best friend to talk to her as me and answer the questions for me. He was like, uh, no Sara, you have to be the one the do it. Get over yourself and do it. Ok he didn't say that last part but I'm sure that's what he was thinking. So I did it. I sweated all the way through it with my death grip on the receiver.
7. I have been working on some new things. Surprise, I've made a list of them...
- I have the Ginger Blossom line from Michael Miller listed in my shop
- I am now making cute boutique aprons. I wear mine everyday in the studio.
- I just got in a ton of these sippy cups that you can personalize. They are so cute! I wish my kids were still small enough to use them. No wait, that means diapers.. ok so maybe I don't.
All these things (with the exception of fabric) and more will be available at my Market Street booth!